About TVmomma:

I created this blog a few years back when I used to watch television 14 hours a day. I was getting highly-opinionated with what I see on TV and I wanted to spare my husband from my rantings so I thought of blogging about them instead.

I have called TV as my amusement park -- right in my own home. But now, things have changed and my TV viewing has been limited. I still post on this blog but only when I felt so strongly about what I've seen, and when I have the time.

For reprint and for anything else, please leave a message on the comment area. Thank you.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Take Home Nanny Test

Monday last week I watched Take Home Nanny for a bit. It was late at night and I was just waiting for my toddler to finally feel sleepy so we can both go to bed. At that time, she was not showing any sign of fatigue and it was almost midnight.

Then I saw on the show how the nanny put the kids to sleep by themselves and let them cry. After a couple of hours, they slept soundly. So I thought, I would do it to my daughter.

My daughter was so used being cradled in my arms every night before finally going to sleep. She would wake up an average of three times at night, each time I would pick up and hold her until she falls back to sleep. At 30 lbs (she is 18 months old) it was getting worse and my arms were always painful.

That night, I put the Take Home Nanny technique to the test. I did not hold my baby to sleep -- she wailed and screamed at the top her lungs. I toughened myself up and resolved not to give in. For a full two hours she cried loudly, much to my dismay and fear that the neighbors would come knocking on the door. Eventually, she got tired. And with a little baby massage on her back, she finally fell asleep.

The following nights were no better. I thought I would give in at one point but I held my ground. And last night was the week after I did the Take Home Nanny test. I have been successful. I don't have to hold her to sleep and she does cry but just a little before dozing off.

I'm glad I did it. The nights are better now for me and my baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment